How to get rid of lice? Pediculosis treatment in a child
There is a false opinion that lice appear in children from dysfunctional families, where they are left to their own devices and do not care too much about their own hygiene. In practice, this parasite does not choose a victim for well-being. Pediculosis affects all children, as well as their parents.
There are many effective ways to get rid of lice quickly. However, in the treatment of pediculosis, many adults make a number of mistakes that not only do not rid the child of the parasite, but also can cause great harm to health.
How to get rid of lice?
What do lice look like?
Lice – a parasite that feeds on the blood of its carrier, and infection is called lice. They are quite small in size, which makes it difficult to immediately determine their presence in the hair, especially in girls. However, with a thorough examination of the child’s head, you may notice small parasites, approximately 2 to 7 mm in size. They look like small light grains that are mobile.
How are they transmitted?
Most often, a child can “catch” lice in places where there are many other children – kindergartens, schools, summer camps. Infection occurs through close contact with the carrier of the parasite, his personal belongings, bed. This can be a comb, a sheet and a pillow, headphones, elastic bands for hair, hats and scarves – that is, all objects that somehow come into contact with the head and hair of the infected person.
Lice do not jump from carrier to new host. This parasite creeps. You can get them only from another person. Animals are not carriers of pediculosis!
Many are ashamed of pediculosis, do not go to the doctor and do not report a problem to kindergarten and school. However, such “secrecy” only harms. Find the source of infection, and stop its spread becomes problematic. In addition, it is not known whether your child managed to infect other children. Then the whole kindergarten or school class can become infected, which will entail the risk of reinfestation and quarantine.
Symptoms of lice?
An adult can quickly recognize head lice. However, you can not suspect them in a small child right away. Parents should respond when they see these symptoms:
itching of the scalp;
the presence of nits;
The first alarming calls for pediculosis in a child are itching. At first, the baby may experience mild itching, periodically scratching his head. Gradually, it increases, as does the number of parasites on the head. The child constantly scratches his head, most often in the area of the temples, neck, neck and behind the ears. With similar symptoms, parents should examine the child’s head for nits.
Nits – eggs from which lice hatch. They look like small translucent silver bubbles, about 2 mm in size. Nits are tightly attached closer to the base of the hair follicle. They are localized most often in the temples, behind the ears and at the neck. This is due to the fact that the parasite loves heat, and in these areas the temperature is slightly higher. It is these places that an adult must carefully examine.
How to cure pediculosis?
Getting rid of lice is quite simple, observing all the rules of treatment. It is much easier to remove parasites if they are detected at an early stage, when they have not yet laid off a large number of nits.
If possible, we recommend the use of a safe pharmacy to treat pediculosis. It is better to abandon all kinds of folk methods from lice, especially from kerosene.
Kerosene is a flammable, toxic substance. At the slightest carelessness, it can cause great harm to the health of the child. There are many tragic cases. Kerosene is not suitable for the treatment of pediculosis, especially for children!
Shaving hair should not be used as a treatment for head lice, especially for girls. In the modern world, there are many effective remedies for lice, which are more humane than shaving hair. Not lice feed on hair, but blood through the scalp.
According to WHO, the number one drug in the treatment of pediculosis in the world is the substance permethrin. It is part of many shampoos and ointments. This insecticide has minimal toxicity, and is also able to kill lice and nits. You can purchase one of the products in the pharmacy that contains permethrin. There are also other effective substances that you can buy in a pharmacy.
After applying any product, soak it on the hair for the time specified in the instructions. After that, with the help of a comb with frequent teeth, you need to carefully comb the hair, dividing them into thin locks. Often, a plastic scallop can be found in a box with the product itself.
Please note: many shampoos used contain conditioners and silicone. They do not neutralize permitrin. Refuse two or three in one, and do not apply balm or other products after treatment.
After using the lice remedy, do not wash your child’s head for a couple of days. After 10 days, treat the hair with a prophylaxis and killing agent for the surviving nits.